BSA227: Concept

Kate and I sat down last week to work on the first assignment for our compositing project, which includes writing a treatment, creating concept art and storyboarding. We decided that the logical first step would be to start on the treatment so we can then take those ideas and make them visual.
Being late at night when we started this writing process made it quite difficult to make a lot of progress, but eventually I got words onto the screen and a story unfolded. It wasn’t until Kate read over it that I realised it made very little sense and I had really just written a whole bunch of crap. Well done me.

After that unsuccessful attempt, I figured it might be better to leave the writing of the treatment to Kate and just try to work on concept art instead. I had been really looking forward to this part of the assignment. The idea of creating colourful, and slightly strange, tiny planets and putting them into a universe sounded really exciting to me. So I sat down, found a suitable picture I had taken of the stars, collected the tiny planet tests Kate and I had done, opened Photoshop and got to work piecing them together.

I decided on using the images below.

StarrySky_2

13652634_10153872026773990_1770772835_n TinyPlanetTest5.png

The first thing I did was to place the forest world onto the stars and delete the background. It proved to be too fiddly to delete the sky from all of the gaps in between the branches so I just erased that particular tree. I then worked on the edges of the planet with the feathered eraser tool, on low opacity, so they wouldn’t be so harsh.

Screen Shot 2016-08-13 at 5.24.00 PM

What I really wanted to do was to curve the edges of the planet to make it look more like a globe and have more of a 3D effect rather than looking like a flat, 2D image. Once I placed the next planet, I played around with the different types of transformation and rediscovered the warp tool. It took me a while to find it and work it, but I think I managed to make it work quite successfully.
The other thing that I added was a sphere. I was attempting to make it look like a bubble, but I don’t think that quite worked. When I showed it to Kate, she suggested we make it a balloon so our character catches the strings of different balloons that float by to get to each planet rather than being inside a bubble.

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 11.43.20 AM

After moving, warping, resizing, and adding a child, our first piece of concept art was finished.

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 11.42.56 AM

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s